POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rerender of previous post (for Simon and Steve) : Re: Rerender of previous post (for Simon and Steve) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 06:28:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rerender of previous post (for Simon and Steve)
From: Ken
Date: 5 Mar 2000 22:51:37
Message: <38C32992.601EA36B@pacbell.net>
Glen Berry wrote:

> >I'd be interested to know from one of the photographers out there if you can
> >actually get two different shaped lense flares in the same image.
> Yes... but it would almost certainly involve multiple exposures, and
> in this case, moving the lighting between exposures or multiple lights
> that are individually switchable.
>
> First, take one exposure with a light arranged to give you the
> highlight on the left. Use a 6-point star filter for this exposure.
>
> Second, move the light to a new position to give the highlight on the
> right. Use a 4-point star filter to photograph the same scene with the
> new lighting. This second exposure is done on the same frame of film
> as the first.
>
> Individual exposure times will need to be cut in half, in relation to
> a normal single exposure of the scene, to restore a proper over-all
> brightness for the frame.
>
> So yes, it can be done.
>
> Later,
> Glen Berry

I am not altogether convinced that multiple exposures are necessary. For
example I was watching a PBS program the other day that talked about the
formation of new stars. One thing that I noticed in the actual star images
they were showing was that perhaps one in one thousand stars shown were
bright enough that they had star shaped flares coming off of them. These
were present not only in the center of the image but reaching out to the
edges as well.